Friday, September 26, 2008

Book Review: Desire by John Eldredge


Background: I just finished this one this week. I have not been on a good reading schedule, and am trying to clean that up. I have started and am in the middle of about 5 books. Not a good habit. So I have been reading Desire for the past 5+ weeks. I liked Eldredge’s Wild at Heart (and am reading that for the second time), so got this one as well.

Overall I liked the book, but was not captured by it. The main idea is that we cannot ignore or kill or give in to substitutes of our desires. Our desires must be protected for what they really are: the real, the eternal. He also had a very good description of heaven. Explaining how the American notion of heaven (and mine) is dominated by a very vague, not all that exciting place, but that it is better than the alternative. And yet it is so much more.

Eldredge asks us to examine our desires to see what they really are. Are we just giving in to easy substitutes the world provides? Or have we just killed any and all desires to be “spiritual”? Or are we truly seeking the desires God has instilled in us, which are for Him?

I probably should have read it more consistently to have gotten the most out of it. And therefore I would recommend it, but not highly.

1 comment:

Kelly Owen said...

I really enjoy reading your book reviews. I just keep adding more books to the list of books I want to read... ha!

Anyways, I am currently reading Walking with God by John Eldridge and it goes perfectly with Experiencing God. Same concepts with real life examples. I like it!