Saturday, September 20, 2008

First of Book Reviews - Do Hard Things

I decided to add book reviews to my blog. I have started reading a lot more in the past few months and have enjoyed it. So to futher cement the book in my mind as well as share with family & friends what I am learning/studying/enjoying, I decided to write reviews. So here is the first:

Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris


Background: I heard about this book first from Mark Henry as he was teaching on Sunday night, or perhaps leading prayer at church. I then ran across their website off a news story by Yahoo. I went to the website, and liked what I saw, so I ordered the book, just in time to pass time with the hurricane as I got back from work.

First reading I read quickly, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very challenging. At first there was some “teenage” language that I was bothered by, but it is a book by teens for teens. And that language changed as the book progressed. The message however transcends age, which I really like.

I am currently reading it for a second time. A little more slowly. It basically challenges teens to not settle for the low expectations our culture has for them. The challenge is to do the hard things that are necessary to achieve big things, everything from the small, seemingly insignificant, to the first steps, to the huge potential that they all have. There were several ideas and stories that struck a chord with me. The story of kids (teenagers) in school able to be “above average” with little to no effort at all. Good grades, recognition in sports or other achievements, all achieved KNOWING they could do better and that they didn’t deserve the attention they got and KNOWING that they could do better, but nobody expected it of them. Also the idea of getting attention and praise for what was not done, instead of what was done. Kids are often praised for not getting into trouble, not doing drugs or alcohol, etc, instead of being praised for what they do. It is nice to know that throughout my growing up I was not the only one, and that in fact there are many different people who have had these feelings. I only wish I had this revelation when I was a teen.

But the book challenges all ages to not settle for low expectations. I tend to have high aspirations, but settle for good intentions with little to no real results. That has been my personal challenge.

Overall I would highly recommend this book to anyone of any age. It will challenge adults and their expectations of themselves as well as their expectations of teenagers. I think it will also impact the lives of teens who might read it as well. May get them to reach for the potential they have.

Authors website: The Rebelution – http://www.therebelution.com/

2 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Reading is the best!!

It is amazing when you praise a child for what they did right, how their faces light up and they will desire to please you, even when you aren't watching...which is ultimately the goal because then you know it is in their hearts.

I did a study with Michael a while back. It was a book called Created for Work by Bob Schulz which sounds along the same lines as this, teaching them to do everything as unto the Lord and not to settle for less or do things half way.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, oh how I would love to find time to read this one and then also would love to implement this into my school cirriculum. I always tell my students and Chloe that they don't get rewarded for what they are expected to do, however, I definately love to lavish my students and Chloe with praise. It does a great deal for both my heart and their's. ask me how God led me to teaching one day. It's an awesome God thing:) We miss you when you are not home!