Friday, February 27, 2009

Phase Two - Almost Done

So I started Phase Two yesterday, and almost completed it. That was moving all my stuff from the house to the shed. I got some help this evening with the big stuff, so I am going to call it nearly complete. I still have several computers, (meaning 11), to go through, make sure there is not anything I need from them, and then throw them out.

So here is the beginning of Phase Three:


That is the rear of my house that I am pulling siding off of. Thanks to Josh, Tristan, Bashard, and David, almost all that siding is off now, as well as the bad fencing on the side torn down.

Unfortunately this is the only part of the job I am good at - tearing stuff down. It is the building back up that is the hard part.

One interesting thing that I have been learning through this process of downsizing, packing, moving, and storing stuff is a simple lesson on maintenance. I read a couple of weeks ago about library archiving - how digital archiving just doesn't last as long as we think it should. I have had it in my mind that once I get all my old photos copied on to the computer, make a couple of backup CD's, and put them in different areas of the country I would be safe. The house could burn down, and I would still have them.

But this handout said that in the BEST of conditions digital media would only survive about 50 years. Between media decaying and the progression of software, that digital information would have to be maintained and migrated from software to software throughout the years in order to maintain its quality.

That hit me hard for some reason, because I love the idea of doing something all out for a short period of time, and then having that skill, ability, money, or income come in with very little to no effort after that. Kind of like writing a book, or fixing up a piece of real estate for rental.

But it appears that important things always need to be maintained. It is fact of our fallen world. Sin entered into the world, and we now have to follow the law of entropy - everything wears down.

So I have been noticing different things that must be maintained...
my house - obviously.
relationships.
money & investments.
even spiritually we need to be maintaining and growing. I have been noticing in the Bible lately how many times it mentions the present and continuing tense when I am expecting a one time past tense. Such things as sanctification, justification, hope, grace, action.

And I guess I should qualify the term maintenance for me. I see it as more than just keeping to the status quo, but improving and growing what is being maintained.

Anyway, that has gone through my head quite a bit as I go through the pack ratted stuff I have collected and carried through several houses over the past many years, and asked the question "Do I REALLY need this?" And along with those: "Why the heck did I carry those books all the way here?" "How much gas and energy have I wasted doing this?" "This is ridiculous."

Thank goodness our hope is not in this world. This world is falling apart in so many more ways than one. Our hope is in its creator, and redeemer of our fallen world, Jesus Christ.

No comments: