Sunday, December 16, 2007

I get paid for this!?

I am very blessed. I just got in from an equipment run to another rig about an hour away, or for me, a paid sightseeing trip. I am on the clock, while I am up here in central Arkansas, plus I get paid mileage. It is a perfectly clear day. Cool and sunny. Perfect to drive the mountains of Arkansas. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive.

For those of you who wonder what I do… I am an MWD hand for Crescent Directional Drilling. Finally I feel like I am equipped for a new job. My computer experienced, combined with the last year of roughneck experience, really prepared me for this job. I am comfortable and competent for once.

My job consists of the responsibility for our tool which we run in the hole. Once we are drilling, I take the directional readings from the tool and give that information to those who need to know. I am in a much safer position, a trailer on location, instead of the rig floor. I am doing much less manual labor, which has its drawback in that now I have to schedule some kind of workout, or I will get way out of shape. So far, I have been eating poorly, but not as much, so I don’t believe I have gained the weight. I am out of shape however.

Because I am in the trailer and not on the rig floor, I have access to the internet just about all the time. Thus part of the reason for the blog, and increased internet activity.

Anyway, that is what I am up to at the moment. The biggest drawback is the fact that my schedule is quite varied, with no set days off. I will take it for now though. I am blessed, and I cannot and will not complain.

From this...

To this...

No comments: