Thursday, December 27, 2007

Road Trip!


Well, not your normal, cross the country with a group of friends and/or family, camping out under the stars, visiting historical landmarks, and cultural icons, and long lost relatives, but just… driving to work. Yes, my life is not normal. I get paid to drive 9 hours across state lines, into Arkansas and back.

So I am asking for any suggestions on how to pass the time.

Normally I have been scanning radio stations or just thinking in silence. But there has to be some more informative, educational, fun, interesting things to do for hours on end. And that is not hazardous to driving.

And as far as road trips go, that has got me thinking of past road trips. My family has been on some monster road trips. The first that I can remember (driving in my mom’s belly from LA to Pennsylvania and back in a VW bug does not count) was with those crazy parents of mine moving from Oregon to Texas.
4 kids ages 7, 5, 3, and 1? Packed with all our belongings in a yellow school bus, towing a pickup truck behind us. Dad took out all the seats and stuffed all we had into that bus. It was great for us kids. We had a huge bed, and play area the whole trip. I don’t remember much about that trip, but what I remember was the good time we had. We being the kids. I will have to ask my parents how well they enjoyed it.

Another road trip the family took was the reverse route visiting the grandparents. The first leg from Texas to Colorado with some friends of ours. A 24 hour drive with 6 kids, 2 adults crammed into a Buick. That was crazy as well. I think I was 14 at the time. And that was just the first leg. We ended up driving our grandparents to Oregon, then took the bus from Oregon to LA to visit some relatives there, and back to Texas. Wow, those were the days!

So anyway to get back to topic… any suggestions? I was thinking books on CD, but I need a good source, preferably inexpensive. How about the iPod? I have heard good things about it. Any driving games that can be played solitaire?

This should be interesting. And since I am spending a 9 hour commute at least 4 times a month right now, I probably should be spending more time planning it. So thanks for your help.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

JEB,

Well just a suggestion is to get some spanish tapes. Just think if the oilfield crashed here in the US when Hilary got elected. And you had to go work in South America. how valuable some Espanol would be. Just a thought. Like what you got goin with the blog.

PB

D.O. said...

Yeah, learning a new language could prove beneficial. My vote would be to find Tommy Nelson's 13-part sermon series on the history of the church... I've done that on a long drive... more than once. It's tight.

Also, I sometimes do photo journals of drives... it's not necessarily the safest thing life has ever seen, but it's not bad.

Jimmy B said...

Yes, I have got to get some kind of audio system going in the truck, besides your basic AM/FM.

Photo-journal, interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

I don't travel well, so I don't know if I will be much help.

But I vote for sermons on line. Matt Chandler from the Village in Dallas is great (I love his Ecclesiastes series)
Also Mark Driscoll from Mars Hill in Seattle is great.

Simone said...

I asked for audio books for Christmas and got a couple of good ones. I'll let you borrow them if you want.

Also, I play the alphabet game with myself and see how quickly I can get through it. You can make it harder or easier (word has to start with the letter, no using the same word twice, etc.) and that will change how quickly you can do it. It usually takes me 15 to 30 minutes, which if you play multiple times, will really take up time.

Another thing is to have index cards of Scripture you want to memorize with you. You don't have to look at it for but a second or two (great for highway driving), and you have nothing to do but go over it in your head.