Thursday, December 20, 2007

No Debt!


The day is quickly approaching when I will be debt free! As many of you know, this is the goal I am presently pursuing. The reasons are many, and the story is long, but the fact is that I know without a doubt, this is the goal that I am supposed to fulfill right now.


The first and primary reason I am getting out of debt is because God made it very clear that is what I am supposed to do. The Bible is pretty clear when it comes to debt. It says to owe no man anything, that the debtor is servant to the lender, and that no man can serve two masters.

But that has not always been the case. Up until a little over a year ago, I was floundering. I was in debt, with a good job, but no real direction. I have been investing in various projects for the last 10 years, with limited success. Which was part of the reason I was in debt. I have also been switching from job to job which is the other big reason I was in debt. For 10 + years I had been trying to become “financially independent” on my own. From investments in real estate, to foreign currencies, to gold and silver, my finances were just that… mine.

I came to the realization that I had been trying to become financially independent on my own. My finances were mine. And quite honestly it was embarrassing. I had read so much. I knew so much. I had tried so much, but I couldn’t do anything. I had created this mess. And even though I had said that I had given my life to God, I had never given Him my finances.

So I finally decided to give Him my finances. And that has made all the difference. First I sought wise counsel, and found it. Next was humbly taking that advice, even though I disagreed. I had had a budget, but not followed it very well. So I had to get much more self disciplined with that. I had to tithe, strictly, and right off the top.

And so I changed what I was doing from my way to what God said. And I can say nothing more than that God has tremendously blessed me. And I am floored by how much. I have approximately halved my credit card debt in this last year, and should be able to finish off the rest by this coming April or May! Absolutely incredible. And I cannot take ANY of the credit. The grace of God is the only reason.

There are several ideas bouncing around in my head. And I hope to broach some of those subjects in later posts. Ideas on getting out of debt, reasons to get out of debt, spending, saving, investing, etc. But for now, if there is any advice right now that I would give and give heartily it is… Get out now! Stop spending so much. Do not use credit cards. It is a trap. Do it God’s way. Ask Him how to do it, and to what extent. He will bless if you give your finances to Him. I know it! I live it!

1 comment:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

"Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. Malachi 3:8-10

Definately no credit card debt!!

My struggles were more of trusting God with MY money because I can tend to be a miser. I had to learn not to store up my treasures on earth.

Once I learned that, there is so much freedom!!

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more tips!!