Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ekklesia / The Church

I just finished listening to last Sunday week’s sermon. Wow. What a challenge. It was a reminder of when I first attended Living Hope.


It is awesome to me that we have the technology to go back and listen to sermons again. What a privilege to live in the time and place we do. I will go back to sermons I have even heard, so I can get it better. Reiteration is one of the ways I really learn things.

When I first visited Living Hope, I was looking for a church to go to because that was what you were supposed to do. And being the good kid, that is what I did. I remember very distinctly that Butch said, much the same thing he said last week, “if you are not willing to get involved in the church, find somewhere else to go.”

I liked the church. I liked Butch. I liked the music and the skits. But I only came twice. I took him at his word, because I knew that at that time in my life, I did not want to get involved in the church.

I wanted to go to feel good. To make some friends. To find a girlfriend. To have a good time. I did not want to be challenged.

That was almost 5 years ago. I hope that it was not a complete waste of time, but it does feel like it sometimes. I came back to Living Hope about 2 years ago, knowing that is where I was supposed to be. And I finally came to church for the right reason. Little did I know, that as I slowly relinquished myself to God, He was drawing me closer to Him. I got saved for real this last June, and gave my life completely to Him.

That is the short version, and all I can say is that God has been tremendously good and patient with me. I still struggle with what I want, and with my pride. But it is great to be reminded that Christians, Believers by definition do what the Bible says. For me that is “Thou shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. And your neighbor as yourself.” What a challenging commandment.

I have been blessed tremendously with a church body, who corporately, not just from the pulpit, encourage through word and deed, complete obedience to God.

I know that what is here on this blog is piecemeal, and that it probably does not make sense, but even little things like spring cleaning of my house, or exercise, is work on my character, changing my habits to better reflect God. Changing my life, preparing to do what I am supposed to do.

Thank you God, for your tremendous mercy and tremendous grace towards me.

1 comment:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

God is doing wonderful things in our Body and I believe this is just the beginning.

It is so great to see people finally get it.

When I first came to LH (about 5 years ago) Butch scared me to death. I grew up with religion, not knowing what a relationship with Jesus was about.

The church has been such a HUGE part of my walk...it, when done right, is what God intended and He knows what He is doing!!!